Senior Director Software Engineering - HBO Max
United States - Washington - Seattle
May. 03, 2021
Company OverviewWarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.HBO is one of the most respected and innovative entertainment brands in the world, serving iconic, award-winning programming to 140 million subscribers globally. A subsidiary of WarnerMedia, HBO is the world’s most successful pay TV service with an extensive array of programming that includes some of the most notable titles to be on television, including drama series Succession®, Watchmen®, Westworld®, Big Little Lies®, Game of Thrones®, The Sopranos®, Band of Brothers® and The Wire®, as well as comedy series Barry®, Insecure® and Sex and the City®. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
guidance, advice, support, and mentoring to a team of world class engineers that build, operate, and protect large scale systems for managing authentication, authorization, tokens management, accounts, profiles, user settings, entitlements, as well as billing, commerce and customer subscriptions. You will use data and your experience to make smart engineering decisions and own critical areas of a product used by millions of customers. You’ll help us scale and grow our HBOMax platform to delight and serve a global audience, and you’ll offer expert design planning focusing on platform, client, tooling, and process development to support and enable future-focused architecture solutions. As the Director of the Purchase & Identity team, you will work across Engineering, Product, and Program to ensure the delivery of high-quality services and video platform systems deployed globally. You will own and drive the technical strategy and roadmap for your teams and provide leadership that creates an environment of innovation, ownership, delivering with quality, as well as fostering a culture of inclusion and knowledge sharing.
- Lead, guide, and grow an amazing team of engineers that design, build, implement, and manage the consumer experience engineering platforms that power authentication, authorization, tokens management, accounts, profiles, user settings, entitlements, as well as billing, commerce and customer subscriptions for WarnerMedia’s flagship OTT streaming platform, HBO Max
- Partner with Product and Program counterparts to scope, plan and estimate new feature work and platform investment initiatives. Collaborate with your leads to identify appropriate system architecture, features, solutions, timelines and budgets for new projects
- Craft, own, and manage engineering roadmap and strategy for your teams
- Architect and create resilient and scalable systems ensuring key product feature goals are accomplished
- Hire, inspire, and lead multiple high-performing engineering teams. Develop and execute product roadmaps with input from the delivery team, stakeholders, and operations and technology leadership that maximizes opportunities to improve business processes, develop a best-in-class product and produce results.
- Provide technical leadership to fellow technical leaders and developers in a cross-functional way to engage and deliver on both project and enterprise level initiatives
- Work with QA teams to ensure applications are properly tested prior to being released
- Demonstrated leadership with development teams that provided expert level knowledge of software development methodology, practice, and architecture across the full project life cycle
- Expert analytical, problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills with complex distributed applications, technologies, and business concepts
- Ability to think strategically and design accordingly in a future-forward landscape
- Excellent oral and written communication skills demonstrating the ability to present various topics along with writing proposals and guidance documents for both the developer audience and technical leadership
- Demonstrated proactive skills, mindset and approach that always puts the customer’s experience first
- Experience recruiting and building diverse engineering teams, leading by example, promoting a positive & inclusive culture, and fostering trust & transparency
- Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions.
- Understanding and commitment to software engineering principles/processes (e.g. Agile, DevOps, CI/CD, TDD, XP) and continuous improvement through measurement.
- Experience in monitoring and telemetry: Telegraf, Grafana, InfluxDB, and Prometheus
- Experience leading teams that create automated tests as part of the development lifecycle. Passion for test driven development.
- Knowledge of Kanban and Scrum Agile Methodologies for software development
- A passion for learning, sharing knowledge, mentoring, and working in a team setting with engineers of varying levels of experience
But Wait, There’s More!
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands