Director, Editorial Strategy – AVOD
United States - California - Culver City
Apr. 13, 2021
Company OverviewWarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Opportunity OverviewThe Job
HBO Max seeks a Director, Editorial Strategy – AVOD for the Acquisition Growth Marketing department.
The Director, Editorial Strategy - AVOD will be responsible for developing and implementing the editorial and merchandising strategy for the HBO Max AVOD platform in the US and for ensuring clear communication of that strategy across Warner Media entertainment. In this role, you will oversee a team of writers, curators, and strategists that will deliver and execute a highly engaging experience for AVOD consumers that drives engagement, retention, and revenue KPIs. You will be responsible for packaging curated in-app experiences for Ad Sales and executing the sponsored campaigns accurately. You will collaborate closely across Content, Ad Sales, Growth Marketing, Publishing, the SVOD Editorial team, and other departments to deliver the calendar for the AVOD service.
● Drive the editorial vision and strategy for the AVOD product that pushes forward growth, retention, discovery, and revenue generation
● Partner with the Data and Analytics team to understand how the HBO Max AVOD audience engages with content, and inform audience-first, data-driven segmentation strategies that drive KPIs including increasing streaming hours and CLV
● Ensure deadlines are met for Editorial Calendar delivery of any AVOD SKU elements - including pages, collections, copy and imagery, and sponsored components
● Ensure all AVOD curated content aligns with the HBO Max product, brand, content and growth marketing strategies and partner closely with teams across the organization including Marketing, PR, Content Strategy, Legal etc.
● Work closely with a counterpart on the Campaign Planning & Management team to generate and deliver multi-faceted consideration campaigns to drive revenue, and to develop workflows and cross-functional alignment with HBO Max SVOD initiatives to support AVOD.
● Partner with the Product team on longer-term merchandising strategies given feature rollouts, industry standards and changes, and UI improvements
● Utilize data-driven decision making for continuous editorial improvements.
● Develop and analyze new strategies to increase content consumption and drive interest.
● Prepare executive updates and recommendations using insights to sell through new engagement opportunities based on content consumption patterns, etc.
● Work closely with Ad Sales to deliver a calendar of “moments” for advertisers to sponsor and execute upon those plans
● 9+ years of experience in digital editorial products specific to user engagement and streaming or related experience at an entertainment media company. AVOD experience is a must.
● 5-7 years of experience managing and leading cross-organizational creative teams.
● Prior experience and success in setting strategic context and helping develop creatives.
● Prior experience hiring, managing, and retaining a diverse team of direct reports
● Extensive experience in content editorial, preferably in streaming, across all devices and operating systems.
● Knowledge of competitive landscape including AVOD, SVOD and OTT services as well as knowledge of Content Management Systems (CMS) and Editorial.
● Detail oriented, organized, adept at prioritizing tasks, able to delegate appropriate responsibilities to editors and managers.
● Developed creative taste and strong instinct for stories and experiences that will capture consumers.
● Actively engaged in strategic conversations with social insights and community perspectives.
● Strong written and verbal communication skills.
● Ability to adapt rapidly in a fast-moving environment with shifting priorities; candidate must be able to create their own direction yet balance cross functional teams’ needs, reacting quickly, dynamically, and intelligently.
The Ideal Candidate
● Has a natural passion for entertainment, a deep understanding of internet culture and a knack for spotting and steering great storytelling in the digital space.
● Can drive a vision, respond to cultural and consumer trends, as well as shifts in our business needs.
● Possesses a deep understanding of the video streaming industry as well as the data-driven personalization space and is a champion for the consumer.
● Executes against a vision via small, medium, and long-term projects.
But Wait, There’s More!
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands