Business Intelligence Engineer - HBO Max
Big Data/Analytics, Data Science
United States - California - Los Angeles, United States - New York - New York, United States - Washington - Seattle
Nov. 19, 2020
Company OverviewWarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Opportunity OverviewHBO Max is the future of entertainment and storytelling. WarnerMedia’s streaming entertainment offering, HBO Max launched in May 2020 and is the culmination of some of the most innovative new technology and greatest creative talent in the industry. Anchored by the entire HBO service, arguably the greatest brand in television, HBO Max also features fan favorites from the WarnerMedia library including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more. HBO Max is home to key third-party library acquisitions such as Friends, South Park and Doctor Who, and more than 50 exclusive Originals in its first year, from the likes of groundbreaking creative talent such as J.J. Abrams, Ridley Scott, Jordan Peele, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Mann, Mindy Kaling, Reese Witherspoon, Anna Kendrick, Greg Berlanti, Melissa McCarthy, Robert Zemeckis and other visionaries. Find out more information at HBOMax.com.
As a Business Intelligence Engineer, your primary responsibility will be to develop the data models and semantic layer used in the analyses and dashboards that drive decision-making across the organization. You'll define key business metrics, automate data transformation & testing, and advance standards for data quality and self-service business intelligence.
- Build data models in Snowflake and Looker that support flexible querying and data visualization.
- Advance automation efforts in data processing & testing that help the team spend less time manipulating & validating data and more time analyzing it.
- Rapidly deliver on concepts through prototypes that can be presented for feedback.
- Train fellow employees on best practices for BI data modelling and help others act as successful stewards of our data and tools.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineer, Mathematics, or similar required.
- 2+ years of relevant experience in business intelligence/data engineering.
- 2+ years of writing clean, optimized SQL.
- Experience with general-purpose programming (e.g. Python, Java, Go), dealing with a variety of data structures, algorithms, and serialization formats.
- Experience in transforming flawed/changing data into consistent, trustworthy datasets, and in developing DAGs to batch-process millions of records.
- Knowledge in data-warehousing concepts such as star schemas, slowly changing dimensions, ELT/ETL, and MPP databases.
- Ability to build reports and dashboards with BI tools (such as Looker and Tableau); experience in designing effective Looker Explores is a big plus.
- Proficiency with Git (or similar version control).
- Ability to write clear, concise documentation, and to communicate generally with a high degree of precision.
- Ability to solve ambiguous problems independently.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and time constraints simultaneously.
- Care for the quality of the input data and how the processed data is ultimately interpreted and used.
- Experience with big-data technologies (e.g. Spark, Kafka, Hive) is a plus.
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands