Virtual HBOMax UX Research Intern, Spring 2021
United States - Washington - Seattle
Oct. 15, 2020
Company OverviewWarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.HBO is one of the most respected and innovative entertainment brands in the world, serving iconic, award-winning programming to 140 million subscribers globally. A subsidiary of WarnerMedia, HBO is the world’s most successful pay TV service with an extensive array of programming that includes some of the most notable titles to be on television, including drama series Succession®, Watchmen®, Westworld®, Big Little Lies®, Game of Thrones®, The Sopranos®, Band of Brothers® and The Wire®, as well as comedy series Barry®, Insecure® and Sex and the City®. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
Opportunity OverviewThe Job
As a member of the UX Research team, the UX Research intern will assist with conducting innovative qualitative research supporting the user experience of HBO Max video streaming service. User research insights fuel the design and development process to ensure a useful, usable, and delightful entertainment experience for our viewers. You will work closely with product teams to infuse user empathy and perspectives throughout the product development lifecycle.
- Collaborate with product management, design, and research teams to identify important research questions.
- Work closely with UX researchers to support generative, iterative, and evaluative research to provide feedback on concepts, designs, and the end-to-end user experience.
- Lead a capstone project including but not limited to; research study design, remote study coordination, moderating study sessions, data analysis, and working with teams on implementing study findings.
- Dive into emerging UX topics to uncover user perspectives and best practices for video streaming to inform the product design process.
- Experience with qualitative and/or quantitative methods, which may include interviews, surveys, ideation sessions, ethnographic field research, usability evaluation, statistical modeling, and diary studies.
- In-depth understanding of user-centered design methods from generative field research to iterative design research to remote/lab-based usability tests.
- Strong listening, analytical, and organizational skills with the ability to communicate and present research findings clearly.
- Experience integrating research findings into product designs and practices.
- Self-starter, highly organized with great attention to detail.
- Agile/growth mindset, curiosity about users, passion for great design
The Nice to Haves
- Degree or in-depth course work in UX Research, Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, or a closely related field.
- Proficiency with remote study and collaboration tools, like usertesting.com.
- Experience working as a researcher and collaborating with small product teams.
- Strong interest in media streaming services, viewing behaviors, and associated trends.
- An online portfolio or work samples with study plans, reports, and outcomes.