Staff Engineer 2, Player Experience - HBO Max
United States - Washington - Seattle
Oct. 14, 2020
Company OverviewWarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.HBO is one of the most respected and innovative entertainment brands in the world, serving iconic, award-winning programming to 140 million subscribers globally. A subsidiary of WarnerMedia, HBO is the world’s most successful pay TV service with an extensive array of programming that includes some of the most notable titles to be on television, including drama series Succession®, Watchmen®, Westworld®, Big Little Lies®, Game of Thrones®, The Sopranos®, Band of Brothers® and The Wire®, as well as comedy series Barry®, Insecure® and Sex and the City®. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
The Player Experience team builds the user experience critical to every HBO Max customer – video playback. We own the user interface components for video playback across mobile, desktop, and connected devices. Our mission is to build a best-in-class, intuitive and responsive player. We work closely with design and product partners both to improve our existing experience and to add new features to delight users.
As a mid-to-senior engineer on WarnerMedia’s Player Experience team, you will build and support client-side components for our streaming video applications including the upcoming HBO Max service. You will own the entire video user experience, including core player interface, multi-language support, and new features we can’t spoil before launch. You’ll also drive behind the scenes efforts to improve quality of experience via telemetry and data analysis and contribute improvements to our overall UX platform by driving adoption of technologies like React and TypeScript.
- Join a growing team with many opportunities for you to expand your professional and technical skills.
- Influence the technical and UX agenda for Player Experience and own critical features of a product used by millions of customers.
- Work across teams and disciplines to explore technical solutions and evaluate technical tradeoffs, using the latest streaming media technologies and video capabilities.
- Improve your team’s development, test, and operations practices.
- Mentor other engineers to help them grow their careers.
- Have a deep understanding of Computer Science fundamentals, including algorithms, data structures, and operating systems.
- Have hands-on experience developing and maintaining modern user interfaces on one or more platforms (web, mobile, TV).
- Be a self-starter that can independently solve complex engineering problems.
- Maintain high quality coding standards for yourself and your team.
- Design and deliver components of a complex architecture or distributed system.
- Be passionate about software engineering with a strong sense of ownership for the code that you and your team write, and desire to become an expert in client-side video technology.
- Seek self-improvement and adapt to suggestions and feedback.
- Hold yourself and your team to high standards while maintaining respectful relationships.
- Provide periodic on-call support for critical emergent customer-facing issues.
- BS degree in Computer Science, or a related field with 5+ years of relevant experience
The Nice to Haves
- 5+ years in software engineering on shipped consumer products or platforms.
- Video applications, especially streaming video.
- DevOps, where you’ve owned and operated the systems you’ve developed.
- Hands-on use of React / React Native.
- Hands-on use of TypeScript 2+ / ECMAScript 6+.
- Modern device platforms (e.g. Android, iOS, tvOS).
- User experience telemetry.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.