Game Design Director
Warner Bros. Entertainment Group
Game Design, Game Development/Publishing, Mobile
United States - California - San Francisco
Aug. 27, 2020
Company OverviewWarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Business Unit OverviewAt WB Games San Francisco we are bringing to life some of the world’s most iconic characters, stories, and universes. Come help us build a world-class studio, and take leading entertainment franchises to 1.2 billion mobile gamers. We are committed to creating fun and engaging games for our fans, and are positioning ourselves to be a top player in mobile.
Opportunity OverviewThe Job
WB Games Inc. seeks a Design Director for the WBG San Francisco Design department. Come help us build a world class mobile games studio and take the world’s biggest film and cross-media franchises to 1.2 billion mobile gamers.
As Design Director, you will lead a team to create engaging game content and design major features. You are where the rubber meets the road, with input and oversight from the Director of Design, you will transform a great game idea into a fantastic video game.
Cooperation, collaboration and creativity are key in this role. Games are created by groups, and it is your job to assist the Director of Design in making incredible game experiences for all mobile platforms (iOS, Android).
- Participates in determining the direction/creative vision for a given project and oversees the design, development and implementation of related deliverables for that project. Has clear vision of how products should function/appear and the ability to implement this vision.
- Write specifications and design features fitting to the vision and quality bar of the game. Reviews and approves work of internal staff as well as any related external resources to ensure that output meets expectations for quality and is in line with overall project direction.
- Interacts with management and peers in other functions regarding project objectives, progress and milestones.
- Contributes, shares, and enforces best practices.
- Acts as a leader, mentor and role model.
- Degree in related discipline a plus
- 8 years of game design experience, with at least 3 years of mobile F2P experience including live operations.
- Must have proven success in game development, typically in a role of major responsibility.
- Proven ability managing small to large teams.
- Possesses a mastery of game design principles such as design theory and methodologies, environment, directing player experience, player behaviour, choice and motivation, game progression and pacing, etc.
- Maintains an exceptionally deep knowledge of competitive products and trends. Advanced at deconstructing competitive game design elements and understanding the correlation with player experience and satisfaction. Distils and shares insights within the team.
- Possess a highly advanced understanding of all game development disciplines and their inputs into the content pipeline. Possesses a comprehensive understanding of how area of ownership is manifest in the overall game design and final product. Exceptional ability to communicate design concepts effectively, verbally, in written format, or visually to other disciplines. Oversees the development and establishment of proposals and design goals for area(s) of responsibility. Holds and translates vision for broad area of ownership consistent with the overall vision for the game. Works with others to research, prototype and develop new, innovative systems and features. Designs complete features or systems and ensures design is represented in clear, concise game documentation. Ensures ongoing and iterative design documentation that keeps pace with the project’s progress.
- Exhibits mastery with mocking up design features using appropriate tools, such as MS Office, Photoshop, Maya/Max, Confluence, internal wikis, etc.
- Must have a portfolio demonstrating breadth of experience and range of skills.