Senior Assignment Editor, Overnight Team
United States - Georgia - Atlanta
Sep. 14, 2020
Company OverviewWarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Opportunity OverviewOur Story
We are CNN. THE WORLD’S MOST ESSENTIAL AND ENGAGING SOURCE OF DIGITAL NEWS. We are in the midst of rapid transformation and need you to help us find the next generation of innovators, makers, and dreamers who will lead and drive our growth. We aim to make the world a better, more connected place. Join us!
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
This is a best in class shaper and sharpener of stories and ideas, and a people manager who can coach and inspire high-performing writers and editors. The Senior Assignment Editor for our overnight National Digital News Desk is responsible for setting and assigning our news priorities for the day during domestic overnight hours. This assignment editor also collaborates with other digital leaders and newsgathering leaders to evaluate news assignments and ensure that CNN platforms are across the biggest national news stories of the day in a smart way. This editor has top notch news judgment and the skills to run a fast-moving breaking story. This editor is a pro at collaborating across teams in service of the story and in service of our audiences. In a 24-7 news environment, they will need to be efficient and comfortable making coverage decisions and assignment on their own.
The Senior Assignment Editor manages assignments, writing and editing for the National Digital News team, a 24-7 breaking news and enterprise team for CNN's Digital platforms. This editor manages a team of overnight writers and editors. This editor is responsible for building coverage for our priority national news stories and presenting a clear coverage game plan during overnight U.S. hours. They also set the stage for our early morning digital audiences by makes sure we have breaking, spot and enterprise stories underway on the important national topics of the day. This editor is a true partner with writers and content editors who make good stories great. They are multi-skilled and talented in that they know how to edit as an editor and read as a reader. The Senior Assignment Editor can juggle multiple breaking stories at once, they can conceptualize and execute news enterprise within their shift. They also serve as a senior sounding board for other members of CNN's overnight teams when it comes to managing news stories, finding resources, vetting, troubleshooting problems and other duties.
- Deep knowledge in how to tell compelling stories on multiple digital platforms
- Experience managing writers and editors in a fast-changing environment
- A news hound who is well-read on key national topics, as well as a working knowledge of international, political and business news lines.
- The ability to coordinate coverage and assignments in real time during a breaking news situation.
- Excellent communication skills and collaboration skills
- The ability to plan to ensure we have prepped coverage of big national news events
- The ability to do hands on story editing that elevates the writing, reporting and presentation.
- A vocal advocate for fairness and accuracy in our coverage.
- All digital editors will edit stories from a wide range of sources including: The digital news writers and other writers across CNN Digital Worldwide including contributors, opinion columnists, freelancers and field teams who may not be able to sit and write but can give great material by phone, slack, etc. on the ground from any corner of the world.
- This is a varied job -- some days may be fast and furious with assignments and edits on a single and fast-flowing developing story. Some days will have a wide range of pieces in different forms and formats to assign and edit -- an enterprise story, a newsletter, an opinion piece, a story from a correspondent in a war zone. And some days will be project-based, working on a longer-term investigative story, often with other editors, producers and the Row, Standards & Practices and/or Legal
- 5-10 years editorial experience
- College Degree preferred
- Will be required to work weekends
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high pressure environment
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands