Associate Legal Counsel (12 month contract - Based in Seoul, Korea)
Korea - Seoul
Aug. 04, 2020
Company OverviewWarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Opportunity OverviewThe Associate Counsel position is responsible for:
- Supporting all aspects of the Company’s businesses in Korea, together with the Company’s regional ASPAC lawyers, including in the areas of content distribution, content acquisition/production, advertising sales, licensing, employment, marketing & PR and corporate matters.
- Reviewing and developing precedents and processes to enhance the efficiency of the Department.
- Reviewing and advising on data privacy and other relevant compliance and regulatory matters applicable to the Company’s Korean business.
- Drafting, negotiating and advising business teams on agreements in English and Korean.
- Identifying and advising business teams on a range of potential legal and business risks.
- Developing a close working relationship with the business teams in Korea.
- Providing legal and compliance training, including on anti-bribery and corruption, data privacy and information security matters.
Essential job functions:
- Drafting, reviewing and advising on content distribution/acquisition/production deals, advertising sales deals, licensing deals etc.
- Advising on negotiation of agreements.
- Advising on employment matters.
- Managing privacy projects.
- Advising on Korean regulations, compliance matters and legal and business risks with primary responsibility for liaising with regulators, updating the business on legislative and regulatory developments and advising ASPAC management on issues relating to the Company’s Korean broadcast (PP) licenses.
- Education: Law Degree from a recognised university in Korea or elsewhere (Essential).
- Prior Experience / Industry: At least 3 - 5 years PQE experience in a top-tier law firm and/or MNC, with exposure to both Korean and international legal systems and ways of doing business (Essential).
- Technical and Business: Keen sense of business acumen (Essential).
- Self-Management: Ability to work independently, prioritise competing demands and to make considered legal decisions without assistance (Essential).
- Management and Leadership: Flexible, “can do” attitude and willingness to learn (Essential).
- Language: Native level fluency in Korean and fluency in English, including ability to draft legal agreements in both languages (Essential).
- Other Requirements: Good communication, analytical and organisational skills, attention to detail, ability to work as part of a team and to think outside the box to solve complex problems. (Essential)
- Knowledge: IP/licensing, media, telecommunications, data privacy and/or corporate/commercial (Desirable).
- Regional/Country Experience: Experience working in Korea and internationally (Desirable).