Specialist, Safety Production
Warner Bros. Entertainment Group
Canada - British Columbia - Vancouver
Jul. 24, 2020
Company OverviewWarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Warner Bros. Entertainment Canada Inc. seeks a Specialist, Safety Production for the Canada Safety department. This position will be responsible for providing production safety guidance to assigned Warner Bros. TV, Warner Bros. Pictures, Warner Bros. Horizon, Telepictures and WB associated entities producing television, theatrical motion picture, and other content in many locations across Canada and the United States. This person will work with the Safety Department, Production personnel, Regulatory Agencies and various other Warner Bros. departments to reinforce safety standards in all our television productions. This person may also be asked to work on general safety and environmental matters.
- PRIORITIZE: This position assists Safety Management to determine which television productions on the assigned list have a higher risk potential and consults on appropriate actions to increase safety factors. This position assists Safety management to determine how to increase production compliance with required regulatory matters and develops relationships with production crews in order to assess their experience level and need for monitoring.
- COMMUNICATE CONCERNS: In order to reduce the risk of foreseeable potentially hazardous activities, this position is responsible to discuss potential concerns with appropriate department heads. Concerns include unusual locations, stunts, stunt rigging, special effects, proximity of action to actors, employees, or the public. Responsible to assess all potential hazards to employees, the public at large, and property.
- PRESENCE (Travel and Location): This position takes appropriate actions to increase safety on productions, based on experience and information regarding each production. Some visits are announced, and others are not. When time is available and another WB production is nearby, this position maximizes opportunities to visit other crews.
- RESOLVE PERCEIVED SAFETY ISSUES: This position is familiar with the general operations of filmmaking and the common hazards associated with filmmaking.
- RESPOND FLEXIBLY AND APPROPRIATELY: When significant last-minute script changes are made potentially impacting crew, public or property safety. These elements are to be discussed with Safety Management, WB Risk Management and the WB production executive. Whenever unresolved issues regarding employee safety remain a concern, this position remains on site and acts as oversight until a resolution is reached.
- REGULATORY LIAISON: This position contributes to the liaison between applicable local regulatory agencies and the production crew to comply and enforce government mandates. This position will ensure WB Safety expectations are met, studio protocols are followed, required documentation is maintained, compliance with mandatory training and credentials, and will also assist with notifications required by specific States, Provinces, Agencies, and WBSO Departments. This position also assesses shooting locations in order to ensure compliance with all applicable environmental regulations.
- PARTICIPATE IN INVESTIGATIONS: Address and assist with agency investigations, find any problems, eliminate or minimize fines, maintain WB’s standards, and avoid repeat violations.
- MANAGE / ADVISE PRODUCTION COVID-19 COMPLIANCE: This position will ensure that COVID-19 requirements are implemented on-set in conjunction with the UPM and other department heads. Lead COVID-19 health and safety planning in the workplace according to legal guidelines. Determine requirements needed for each department to comply with guidelines. Advice the production on best practices on health and safety related to COVID-19.
- IMPROVE INDUSTRY SAFETY: Will stay informed and participate in pertinent technical production topics addressed by ActSafe and other industry committees to ensure a reasonable approach to production related matters. Will monitor new or proposed regulatory standards and the effect they may have on production. Review course material applicable to production and ensure content is relevant, understandable, and achievable by production employees.
- 3 – 5 years of experience.
- High School diploma required, Bachelor’s degree in relevant area preferred.
- Safety/Environmental certification preferred.
- Experience working with productions, television or features, including action shows, reality television and single camera strongly preferred.
- This position must have the ability to show great flexibility and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills are required for this position as this person will be interacting with all levels of personnel on a regular basis and must be able to do so with great tact, patience and maturity to help influence satisfactory outcomes with a broad variety of clients.