Manager, Brand Research (HBO Max)
Entertainment, Market/Media Research, Research
United States - California - Los Angeles
Jul. 23, 2020
Company OverviewWarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Opportunity OverviewHBO Max is the future of entertainment and storytelling.
WarnerMedia’s new streaming entertainment offering, HBO Max is the culmination of some of the most innovative new technology and greatest creative talent in the industry. Anchored by the entire HBO service, arguably the greatest brand in television, HBO Max also features fan favorites from the library including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more. HBO Max will also be home to key third-party library acquisitions, such as Friends, South Park and Doctor Who, and more than 50 exclusive Originals in its first year, from the likes of groundbreaking creative talent such as J.J. Abrams, Ridley Scott, Jordan Peele, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Mann, Mindy , Reese Witherspoon, Anna Kendrick, Greg Berlanti, Melissa McCarthy, Robert Zemeckis, Ellen DeGeneres, and other visionaries.
The WarnerMedia Entertainment Research team aims to be trusted partners for our unique businesses through a lens that is unbiased and unfiltered. We objectively translate consumer voices to help make strategic business objectives and decisions. The team is looking for a research Manager to lead the HBO Max brand team. The HBO Max brand team acts as brand stewards - working cross functionally with business stakeholders to understand and help solve business challenges. The Manager will work closely with senior management and members of the Research Center of Excellence (COE) to deliver insights to the business. In addition, he/she will help implement research addressing brand, content and market strategies. This person will report to the Research Director for HBO Max. We're looking for a strategic and critical thinker who is passionate about connecting the dots to bring a holistic perspective to the business. The ideal person is a nimble, go-getter who is deeply curious, collaborative, exceptionally organized and proactive.
- Work cross functionally with internal/external stakeholders in a highly matrix organization to understand needs and challenges.
- The brand team works with different departments such as content development, marketing, market strategy, partnerships and product.
- Develop data/research solutions to address business questions, identity opportunities, and inform or guide strategy.
- Design and implement on-platform surveys and manage larger quant/qual projects around growth marketing, content strategy, market strategy and partnerships from design to presentation (includes questionnaire/screener development, programming, fieldwork, analysis and interpretation of research studies).
- Write research briefs and plans to align stakeholders on objectives, questions, design, and timing.
- Write RFPs, review proposals, and coordinate research projects with external partners.
- May require pulling 1st party data for analysis.
- Partner closely with members of the COE research team on specific business needs of stakeholders to shepherd work from inception through sharing of results
- Synthesize findings across multiple research and data sources to deliver insights to the business.
- Collaborate with research vendors while ensuring adherence to best practices, timelines, and deliverables.
- Some travel is required.
- 5+ years of primary research experience including both qualitative and quantitative
- Experience at a direct to consumer/SVOD/AVOD or research company
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Strong knowledge of the media industry.
- Must understand a variety of market research methodologies and their applications.
- Experience executing studies using some of the following: max/diff, TURF, conjoint analysis, interviews, focus groups
- Analytical problem-solving skills, including the ability to break down data/information into meaningful findings and developing recommendations that lead to informed decision-making.
- The ability to synthesize a lot of information to distill root cause and make informed decisions.
- Deep understanding of how to translate the consumer's voice from a variety of inputs including quantitative and qualitative research into actionable insights for different internal audiences.
- Strong storytelling skills with the ability to convey thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively in verbal, visual, and written formats to executives/senior management
- Strong design and presentation skills
- Exceptional relationship building and collaboration skills
- Strong client-management skills; ability to adapt to a variety of individual styles and approaches in order to deliver the appropriate insights and support each requires
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- A passion for television shows and movies
Nice to Haves
- Statistical knowledge and experience
- Experience with coding (SQL) and marketing analytic tools (experimentation frameworks, attribution models, measuring incrementality)
- Graduate degree
· Exclusive events and advance screenings
· Paid time off every year to volunteer
· Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
· Access to in-house learning and development resources
· Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands