Bureau Chief, Moscow
United Kingdom - London
Jul. 09, 2020
Opportunity OverviewPlease note that this role is based in Moscow.
CNN is looking for an experienced journalist and manager who is immersed in the Russia story to take on the role of Moscow Bureau Chief. This individual will lead Russia coverage, manage our Moscow-based team and contribute to our newsgathering efforts across EMEA. Working closely with the Senior Director of Coverage based in London, the Moscow Bureau Chief will set news priorities for the region, ensure balanced editorial coverage and maintain CNN relations with government officials, local agencies and the diplomatic world.
CNN's portfolio of news and information services is available in seven different languages across all major TV, digital and mobile platforms reaching more than 475 million households globally. CNN International is the number one international TV news channel according to all major media surveys across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, APAC and Latin America and has a US presence, which includes CNNgo. CNN Digital is a leading network for online news, mobile news and social media. Around 1,000 hours of long-form series, documentaries and specials are produced every year by CNNI's non-news programming division. CNN International is part of WarnerMedia.
What you’ll be doing:
- This is a senior editorial role. Successful candidates must be of a sufficient experience level to offer guidance on all-platform content across Russia and former Soviet states and cultivate a wide range of news sources and contacts.
- In conjunction with the Senior DOC, this individual will oversee all content delivered from the Moscow Bureau, ensuring pitches and delivery are all-platform compliant and in line with the highest editorial standards.
- This individual will manage Bureau logistics and all associated technical operations, including responsibility for security equipment and deployment as needed in the region, in conjunction with the Director of Security.
- The bureau chief will be responsible for working with PR to manage the external reputation of the bureau and CNN.
- The Bureau Chief will also manage and be responsible for all CNN staff and freelancers based there, with oversight of Bureau budget and logistics.
What we’re looking for:
- A proven track record in journalism, including field experience in the region itself and demonstrable management experience, is essential, as is in-depth understanding of the Russian story is key.
- Successful candidates must be able to demonstrate ability to develop talent, with extensive experience of TV production, and digital execution
- Successful candidates must also have experience of major field operations, with some in hostile environments
- Experience of managing multiple teams on a breaking news story is essential
- Spoken Russian would be welcomed but not essential
- Proven crisis management experience
- Ideal candidate must be a top-notch writer and editor capable of delivering on tight deadlines
What’s on offer:
This role comes with a competitive salary and a wide range of benefits and perks, including a company bonus.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including flexible hours or an element of working remotely. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need.
We are committed to creating both a workforce and content that are as diverse as the global audiences we serve.
See what we are doing for Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging here at WarnerMedia here.