Photography / Imaging
United Kingdom - London
May. 14, 2020
Opportunity OverviewWarnerMedia Inc. is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others. These brands fall into four distinct business units, WarnerMedia Entertainment, WarnerMedia News & Sports, Warner Bros.; and WarnerMedia Affiliates and Advertising Group.
CNN Photojournalists are responsible for recording events and stories to the highest ethical, aesthetic, editorial and technical standards. The Photojournalist is expected to function as a valued team member, engaging both operationally and editorially to the team. They are also expected to be able to operate individually depending on the assignment.
A Photojournalist handles recording news events and their level of training and experience will entail knowledge that allows them to skill-fully handle photography, audio, logistics and lighting. They will also be able to handle Feature type shooting, interview set ups and Live set ups. They should have knowledge of working with Satellite trucks, Satellite communications, broadband, bonded cell and other feed technologies.
They should also ensure that Metadata regarding the shoot is handle properly and completed fully. They are competent NLE editors capable of quick independent editorial decision-making.
Overseas travel is an integral aspect of the job, including hostile environments. They can be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days per week as news warrants. Candidate must be physically fit.
They will be working with Newsgathering primarily, but would also be expected to work for Features, Show production and Digital. This would include not only filming video but also taking still photos.
Newsgathering can be challenging, this position requires a self-starting, editorially-savvy individual capable of working long hours within a team or independently. Editorial decision making is a crucial component of the job.
What you’ll be doing:
- Newsgathering- Ensures that all pictures and sound gathered as a one-man band are of the best quality and properly recorded. Post involves travel and fieldwork as news and features needs dictates. Responding at a moments notice to unexpected breaking news. Need the ability to shoot live shots and set up and operate live equipment using both satellite and DNG equipment. Knowledge and curiosity on current events is necessary.
Shooting (Vision) - Ensures that all pictures and sound gathered as a one-man band are of the best quality and properly recorded. Post involves travel and fieldwork as features needs dictates. Responding at a moments notice to unexpected breaking news. Need the ability to shoot live shots and set up and operate live equipment using both satellite and DNG equipment. Knowledge and curiosity on current events is preferred.
- Editing/DNG/Producing (News) - Demonstrate Competent editing and use of DNG/Live and FTP capabilities in the field. Using editorial, technical and productions skills to produce content for air. Conceptualizing with reporters and producers to understand story concepts and provide important feedback to improve on those concepts. Also needs to attend and stay abreast of Company provided Safety and security courses.
- Editing/DNG/Producing (Vision) - Demonstrates a high standard of creative editing and use of NLE software in the edit suite. Using editorial, technical and productions skills to produce high-end Features content for air. Conceptualizing with reporters and producers to understand story concepts and provide important feedback to improve on those concepts. Also needs to attend and stay abreast of Company provided Safety and security courses.
- Logistics- Gathering proper gear, setting up logistics, traveling and shipping equipment and getting to the assignment with the proper equipment. Also maintaining and cleaning equipment to ensure the longevity and quality of the CNN Equipment
- Paperwork- Getting expense reports handed in on time. Responsible for accounting of all expenses on corporate credit cards and submitting them in a timely manner per company guidelines; substantiating these expenses is an important part of their jobs.
What we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, TV Production or related field. In lieu of a degree we would consider experience and on the job accomplishment.
- Work experience in hardship locations (News)
- Substantial ENG Camera and Field production experience/NLE edit experience
- Advanced FCP editing
- Familiarity with a variety digital news gathering and IT based transmission methods
- High level of computer skills
- Willingness to travel is required
- Visual story-tellers responsible for the ethical, aesthetic, and technical aspects of the assignment
- High degree of professionalism and teamwork
- Managing logistics and equipment to meet the needs of the field team; reporter, producer.
- Adhere to high journalistic standards as set forth in CNN Practices & Policies guidelines.
- Ability to multi-task in a competitive environment
- High-level of organization to help maintain the video archive
- Interest in world events
- Effective communicator
- Skillful and creative
- Driver’s license is essential.
- Knowledge of foreign languages is not required but would be an asset
What’s on offer:
This role comes with a competitive salary and a wide range of benefits and perks, including private medical, generous pension contribution, company bonus and flexible working hours. You’ll have 23 days holiday and we’ll also give you 40 hours per year for you to use for volunteering or charitable work.