Sr. Director, Unscripted Programming - TNT,tbs,truTV
United States - California - Burbank
Mar. 24, 2020
Company OverviewWarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Opportunity OverviewThe Job
The Sr. Director Unscripted Programming, is responsible for the day-to-day management of WarnerMedia's TNT, tbs & truTV networks. Primary responsibilities will include targeting, introducing, and collaborating with experienced writers, directors, producers, agencies, studios, and publishers who fit our brand, audience and genre to develop new ideas, scripts, and series; hearing and responding to pitches; reading and reviewing scripts; creatively overseeing the writing of scripts and the pre-production, production, and post production of programming based on those or other scripts.
- Playing a key role in deciding which pitches and scripts will be accepted for consideration by hearing and evaluating pitches, deciding which pitches should be presented to senior leadership, etc.
- Meeting with writers, producers, directors, agents and talent for possible pilot and staffing opportunities on existing and future shows.
- Maintaining competitive information to be aware of creative trends and projects.
- Evaluating scripts and providing feedback: Reading, analyzing possible development scripts and evaluating their potential.
- Represents TNT, tbs, truTV and searches for potential development opportunities at plays, talent showcases, comedy shows and festivals.
- Also seeks source material for possible development.
- With assistance from VP and team, overseeing the development of ideas from pitch through outline through all drafts of the scripts.
- Creatively oversees with senior leadership the prep, production, and postproduction of pilots that we select to order.
- Creating writer and director lists and maintains the script log for all potential development specs.
- Also, involved in working with casting to cast all pilots.
- Working closely with Business Affairs, Legal and Finance to provide updated and accurate information on a regular basis.
- Creating the appropriate legal documentation to submit to Business Affairs for new projects, new artists and writers.
- Staying aware of all projects in respective category/genre, anticipating next steps, and communicating with many key people on a project by project basis, as assigned.
- Providing thoughtful and timely notes on development projects.
- For the team, could include putting together of grids, documents, and presentations as needed.
- 7+ years' experience at an agency, production company, or a studio/network
- Experience providing creative feedback
- Established entertainment industry relationships as a result of working with directors, artists, writers, creators etc.
- Effective communication skills.
- Creative decisiveness and instincts.
- Detail oriented.
- Self-starter and a good collaborator.
- Strong analytical skills and great creative instincts.
- Good relationships within the entertainment community and be someone with whom the community is eager to work with.
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.