Lead Level Designer
Warner Bros. Entertainment Group
Canada - Quebec - Montreal
Feb. 19, 2020
Company OverviewWarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Business Unit OverviewSince its launch in 2010, WB Games Montréal has more than 300 employees and continues to grow and recruit additional talents. Working with some of Warner Bros. Studios’ biggest brands, including DC Entertainment, the studio is dedicated to developing triple A videogames.
Opportunity OverviewAbout WB Games Montreal
Since its launch in 2010, WB Games Montréal has more than 300 employees and continues to grow and recruit additional talents. Working with some of Warner Bros. Studios’ biggest brands, including DC Entertainment, the studio is dedicated to developing triple A videogames.
WB Games Montreal, a division of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE), seeks a Lead Level Designer to direct a project’s level design team and oversee the Technical Level Design team. He/she also develops the overall vision of the game in terms of level layout, pacing, and “feel” of a world. The ideal candidate has strong communication skills to be able to interact with the rest of the team. He/she is also jointly accountable (with the Producer) for representing the game to Studio Leadership and evangelizing the game both internally and externally.
- Oversee and manage the Level Designers to design and implement environmental locations, mission scenarios, interactive encounters, and combat situations either independently or in collaboration with design team members.
- Help improve the level production pipeline for assigned product(s).
- Work closely with the Producer to plan the work of the Level Designers and Technical Level Designers.
- Manage the efforts of the team and determine vacation time according to project priorities.
- Coordinate and update daily tasks for the Level Design and Technical Level Design team.
- Be the main point of contact of the other teams regarding Level Design and Technical Level Design issues.
- Participate in setting the overall product vision.
- Train employees to use the level production pipeline and other special technical features.
- Create a motivating work environment for Level Designers and Technical Level Designers.
- Work closely with Quality Assurance and play-testers to identify and resolve gameplay and level design issues.
TYPES OF DECISIONS MADE BY THE LEAD LEVEL DESIGNER
- He/she must constantly exercise discretionary aesthetic “look and feel” decisions during the creation of specific game art assets. He/she must rely on their own judgment of quality, color, shape, function, and the general “fit” of the asset within the game environment.
- He/she approves the technical implementation of all world art assets.
- He/she manages and organizes the tasks for specific employees.
- He/she takes R&D-related decisions on the strategic direction for tools and technology.
- He/she works closely with the Level Design and Technical Level Design teams to make sure they are synced.
JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS
- 5+ years of game/level design experience and 2+ years of team lead experience plus a record of designing levels for successful, published software products.
- Having shipped a minimum of two titles.
Education, Professional Training, Technical Training or Certification
- Relevant degree or equivalent job experience preferred.
- Experience as a level designer for published AAA PC and Digital console titles.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills including a high standard of written English.
- Ability to work well under pressure and deadlines.
- Willing to work long hours if required.
- Art or engineering skills a plus.
- Knowledge of the current 3D Engines
- Scripting Knowledge is a plus.
- Familiarity with 3D Studio MAX a plus.
Management has the right to add or change duties and job requirements at any time.