Director, Music & Royalty Accounting
Warner Bros. Entertainment Group
United States - California - Burbank
Feb. 12, 2020
Company OverviewWarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
Business Unit OverviewWarner Bros. corporate functions provide specialized knowledge and expertise to support our vast portfolio of businesses like DC Comics, Warner Bros. Pictures, Warner Bros. Television Group and Warner Bros. Consumer Products.
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. seeks a Director, Music & Royalty Accounting for the FCRA Residuals & Royalty Reporting department. This person is responsible for managing the Burbank-based royalties/participations processing function for DC Entertainment, Alloy, WB Consumer Products and WaterTower (Music). The Director must lead the department’s day-to-day functions including statement generation, payment processing, systems development and staff training.
- Ensure that contractual reporting obligations are met. This includes: (1) understanding and applying accounting provisions of legal agreements, (2) scheduling the workflow so that reporting deadlines are met, (3) verifying accuracy of royalty statements and approving requests for payments due, (4) setting up new royalty plans and contracts in Alfred, Record Maestro, Excel as applicable and (4) implementing procedures that improve efficiency.
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate staff, as needed. Provide leadership in development and implementation of staff training and education about business operations and systems. Evaluate staff performance and give feedback to management and staff to improve staff performance and accomplish department mission and goals. Facilitate growth in development in staff by having on-going CHATs and working with each person to help them achieve their professional goals.
- Participate in FCR&A team development tasks to improve efficiency, increase communication, train staff and improve morale.
- Hire and evaluate staff performance. Give feedback to management and staff to improve staff performance and accomplish department mission and goals.
- Perform special projects and prepare ad hoc analyses, as needed. Provide royalty reporting review and analysis of changes and enhancements in systems. Work with Business Units on evaluating business changes and implementing associated impact to royalty reporting.
- BA/BS Accounting Degree required.
- CPA a plus.
- 3+ years participations or royalty reporting experience required.
- Previous audit or systems development experience a plus.
- Previous publishing, music royalties or entertainment industry work experience a plus.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Must have sufficient knowledge of enterprise database systems.
- Must have thorough understanding of Excel spreadsheet to effectively train the staff and review statements.
- Strong planning, organizational and analytical skills required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
- Strong ability to interact professionally with all levels of personnel and management required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows environment, such as Excel and Word.
- Knowledge of basic math and algebra required.
- Strong overall understanding of Participations, including ability to read and understand digests and abstracts of legal agreements.
- Must have good time management skills to manage multiple tasks.
- Must have the ability to plan, organize and schedule workflow.
- Strong leadership skills required.
- Detail oriented.
- Team player.
- Must be able to adapt and lead in a team environment.
- Must be able to meet tight deadlines under a fast-paced environment and work overtime, as needed.
- Must be a confident individual who is a quick learner and self-starter.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.