QA Automation Engineer, SDET Quality Assurance - HBO Max
Digital/Interactive Media, Engineering, Technology/Information Technology
United States - New York - New York
Feb. 19, 2020
HBO Max is the future of entertainment and storytelling. WarnerMedia’s new streaming entertainment offering, HBO Max is the culmination of some of the most innovative new technology and greatest creative talent in the industry. Anchored by the entire HBO service, arguably the greatest brand in television, HBO Max also features fan favorites from the WarnerMedia library including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more. HBO Max will also be home to key third-party library acquisitions, such as Friends, South Park and Doctor Who, and more than 50 exclusive Originals in its first year, from the likes of groundbreaking creative talent such as J.J. Abrams, Ridley Scott, Jordan Peele, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Mann, Mindy Kaling, Reese Witherspoon, Anna Kendrick, Greg Berlanti, Melissa McCarthy, Robert Zemeckis, Ellen DeGeneres, and other visionaries. HBO Max launches in May 2020.
We are the team focusing on the customer experience for streaming products. We bring our quality focus to the team to help ensure we are making the right decisions to produce products that work every time and delight our customers.
As a QA Automation Engineer at HBO Max, you will architect, design and build test solutions. You will use your expertise to analyze new features and determine the best way they can be tested. You will create new tools and find new ways to test our software. You will work within the feature delivery teams to discuss architecture and implementation so that the software is robust and reliable. You will see your features working every day as our customers use WarnerMedia’s streaming products to watch their favorite content.
- Efficiently coordinate with Feature Release teams to understand and assist in implementing the team’s automated testing needs
- Collaborate with the manual QA team to compose test plans that outline the testing approach for planned product features
- Follow the established policies and procedures of the organization when authoring and implementing automated tests
- Provide comprehensive status reports to QA management and the Feature Delivery Teams with which you are working
- Leverage communication, documentation, preparation and training to educate other disciplines with regard to established and newly developed QA processes
- Support program management teams as needed according to the schedule of releases
- Be curious and actively research new tools and methods that could prove beneficial in the implementation of test automation
- Establish organization of automated tests based on your technical system experience and growing knowledge
- Establish practices that improve and continue to establish studio-wide trust in the automated tests
- Ensure stability of the software release enhancements across all HBO digital products including HBO GO, HBO NOW, MAX GO and HBO MAX
- Perform debugging of automated test failures, in order to assess test stability and confirm the results of reported failures
- 1-3 years experience in both quality assurance and software development
- Proficiency in at least one object-oriented language
- Ability to author tests to be used in established automation integration tools to multiple platforms (Mobile, Game Consoles, Connected TV Devices, Etc.)
- Having the ability to use and offer helpful input on common software development tools such as Jenkins, GitHub, JIRA, etc. would benefit the entire team.
- Experience with client/server product releases/deployments of SaaS applications and the product development life cycles required to release the full set of high quality product in a timely manner
- Experience with device specific development; we support a large number of platforms, and knowing how to interface with those devices gives our team the ability to independently test our work before pushing code to source control
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
The Nice to Haves
- Bachelor’s Degree or Advanced degree in computer science or related discipline
- Experience with scripting languages such as: Unix (bash), Python or Ruby
- Curiosity and the desire to learn is something we love to see in our colleagues; we value personal/career growth and the benefit it brings to the individual and their team
- Industry adjacent experience is very helpful; streaming media and games align very well with what we’re working on and the product we’re delivering to our customers
- HBO exclusive events
- Paid time off to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
America's most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM , as well as HBO On Demand®. and Cinemax On Demand®. in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.