Sr.Data Visualization Engineer (Content), HBO Max
United States - California - Burbank
Jan. 15, 2020
As a Data Visualization engineer, the primary role will be to manage the data visualization technologies and platform and lead the company in advancing the capabilities to synthesize huge volumes of complex big data and refine that raw data into actionable visual insights meaningful and important to business.
Based on the analytical questions to explore, you will design and build the semantic layer to best support self-service Business Intelligence to users. In some cases, you will also work with business expert to generate key metrics and make them available in the Data Visualization tool.
This is a place where divisional analytical users can visit to understand how we are performing toward our goals, learn about the shape of our business metrics, and regularly check in on measurements that are central to our company's mission. We are looking for a well-rounded engineer who has good business and design sense.
DATA VISUALIZATION APPLICATONS
- Lead selection, implementation, and integration of data visualization tools.
- Guide adoption and planning of Tableau installation.
- Work closely with business users to define and deliver effective data visualizations.
- Create and maintain core internal dashboards that are cross-departmental.
- Design and implement data security model to support flexible user access level.
APPLY AND SET STANDARD
- Build aggregate datasets using ETL principles that underlay visualizations. Participate in the creation and support of BI development standards and best practices.
- Continually research and improve new methods and technologies in the analytics and visualization space.
- Apply your learnings to what you build.
- Rapidly deliver on concepts through prototypes that can be presented for feedback.
- Train fellow employees on best practices for data visualization and help others be successful stewards of our tools.
- Transform the way our business users consume data and insights through highly usable and visually stunning data products.
- Enable everyone at Warner Bros. to be an analyst through the Self-Service BI model.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineer, Mathematics or similar required
- 4-5 years of relevant experience: Delivering business intelligence and dashboard solutions
- Expert in Looker and data visualization design.
- Analyzing, compiling, cleansing, interpreting, joining and staging data.
- Working with an Enterprise Data Warehouse and Redshift, Teradata, Oracle and/or SQL Server databases.
- Demonstrable skills building responsive data visualizations.
- Working in an Agile development environment.
- Research product and technical data in order to recommend products, technologies, and processes for ongoing projects.
- Proven ability to produce high-quality data visualizations in a fast-paced environment.
- An expert who can tell a story with data, as well as visualize it with a variety of tools (Looker, SAP BusinessObjects, MicroStrategy, etc).
- Strong background in data relationships, modeling, semantic layer and mining.
- Proficient in data wrangling technologies like SQL and Python.
- Proficient with D3.js
- Experience with Redshift, Teradata or other parallel database.
- Experience working with complex and large volumes of data.
- Ability of filtering the signal from the noise in datasets.
- Ability to work independently and problem solve with little to no direction.
- Willingness and ability to learn in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to teach and train effectively.
- Experience managing multiple, simultaneous projects.
- Must be able to organize and schedule work effectively.
- Must be able to work well under time constraints.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks with changing priorities, communicating changes in scope and schedule to all parties concerned.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including possible overtime, when necessary.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
Nice to Haves
- The ideal candidate loves data and pays close attention to details - caring about the quality of the input data as well as how the processed data is ultimately interpreted and used.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Experience with Hive, Spark, or Scala is a plus.
- Experience with Jasper, Caravel, Kibana, or Zeppelin is a plus.
- Experience with R or Matlab is a plus.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.