Creative Director, Development
United States - California - Burbank
Jul. 19, 2019
Company OverviewDC Entertainment (DCE) is home to the iconic brands of DC Comics (Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, The Flash and more), Vertigo (Sandman, Fables) and MAD. DCE drives the strategic integration of these brands throughout Warner Bros. Entertainment divisions, creating content and experiences with DC stories and characters across film, television, consumer products, home entertainment and interactive entertainment. DCE is also the largest English language comic publisher in the world. Its publishing business generates thousands of comic books, graphic novels and magazines each year.
Opportunity OverviewWhat part will you play?
DC Entertainment Creative Group LLC seeks a Creative Director, Development for the Creative Affairs department.
- Supports portfolio/publishing development and synergy for DC Comics, Vertigo and MAD Magazine, working alongside the Chief Creative Officer and SVP as well as Franchise Management.
- Works directly with Publishing to ensure synergy within company.
- Reviews proposals, outlines and scripts from Editorial, determining their media potential.
- Keeps Creative Affairs team current, informed and involved in development across all divisions and helps in transition from development to production.
- Oversees the writing and development of pitches, character and concept summaries based on DC Comics properties for all DCE platforms.
- Reviews archives for under-utilized assets in order to capitalize on market trends and popularity.
- Works on the development slate for Television and Digital Programming including the following:
- Cable: Internal strategic slate planning, expanded to external development to pilot, as well as oversee select current programming on a project by project basis.
- Network television: Internal strategic slate planning, expanded to external development to pilot.
- In live action television, specifically discusses and provides notes regarding character usage looking at the entire DCE portfolio and makes recommendations for modifications as appropriate.
- Represents DCE in local television and other relevant WB strategic development meetings.
- Works with WBTV development to strategically seed DC IP across linear TV, third party SVOD, HBOmax and DCU.
- Organizes and prioritizes work of self and subordinates, including CE.
- Maintains DCE synergy on all projects.
- Researches and coordinates various projects as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
What do we require from you?
- College degree in Media or other applicable related field strongly preferred.
- College degree in Art, Writing or related field or equivalent professional experience desired.
- Minimum of 7+ years’ professional experience required in television development/production.
- Experience with writing notes on treatments/scripts/outlines/concept documents required.
- Experience with character, story and property long-term planning required.
- Previous experience managing others required.
- Writing experience (copy or creative) a plus.
- In depth knowledge of television industry, including the development and production processes. Experience in current programming at a studio or network development a plus.
- Ability to create and develop written materials.
- Must be a conceptual thinker.
- Proven and effective collaboration and relationship building skills.
- Familiarity with current DCE media projects.
- Familiarity with DCE’s publishing slate.
- Must have the ability to work under time constraints and work independently.
- Must be able to travel as needed.
- Work extends beyond traditional work hours.