Senior Character Artist
Warner Bros. Entertainment Group
Creative, Game Development/Publishing, Graphics/Design/Art
United States - Utah - Salt Lake City
Jun. 20, 2019
Company OverviewWarner Bros. has been entertaining audiences for more than 90 years through the world’s most-loved characters and franchises. Warner Bros. employs people all over the world in a wide variety of disciplines. We're always on the lookout for energetic, creative people to join our team.
Business Unit OverviewAvalanche Software has been in the video game business for over 22 years. Formerly a Disney Interactive company, Avalanche was acquired by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment in 2016. The studio's first title under WBIE was a companion video game to Cars 3 in partnership with Warner Bros., Disney, and Pixar. We are at the top of our game and excited to be a part of WBIE Interactive! We can’t wait to share what’s next in the world of immersive experiences!
Opportunity OverviewWe are looking for a seasoned Senior Character Artist to join our team at the Avalanche/WB Games Studio in Salt Lake City, Utah. This role is for an experienced game artist who has vast 3d experience in all facets of the character pipeline.
This position requires a technical mind to understand our various pipelines and help us continue to improve our current pipelines as technology advances and help to make our processes better. An artistic/ technical hybrid candidate with a fun, easy going personality with hard working ethics and a proven record of experience is most welcome.
This candidate will not only help polish assets and get character assets into our Unreal Character Creator, but will also play an integral “technical” part within our existing head/morph system, hair system, clothing system, texture system, fur system, skin system, and all other character related “systems” etc.
This person must understand Unreal and the PBR workflow in creating packed textures and setting up Materials that work in the Unreal Environment. You should have a deep understanding of texture maps, UVs, baking, and extracting textures from scanned data is essential. You must understand Substance Painter, Zbrush, Maya, topology, and game optimization.
One week you might be working on a character or a clothing piece, the next, you might be polishing characters from Outsource. The following week, you might be involved refining our head/morph system. You must be flexible and be able to multitask and ready to take on any challenge that presents itself.
We are a relatively small team for a AAA game, but we have a lot of fun, laugh a lot, and work hard together. A happy, hard-working attitude goes a long way.
What part will you play?
- Work closely with Dept. Lead over all character related pipelines.
- Document workflows and pipelines within a character style guide.
- Create both Organic and Hard Surface Models.
- Knowledge of various character pipelines.
- Create high resolution source assets in an industry standard sculpting/modeling package (Zbrush, Maya).
- Create low-poly, efficient, animation ready assets from high resolution source assets.
- Create animation ready topology.
- Create textures using a variety of styles - from photo realistic to hand-painted.
- Prepare outsourced work for integration to the game.
- Prove to be a “GameMaker” by assisting in the creation of other game-ready assets such as environment pieces, props, etc. as needed.
- Work in Unreal.
- A solid background in traditional art and a demonstrated knowledge of Human and Animal Anatomy.
- 5+ years in game development modeling and texturing 3D assets.
- Shipped a AAA title as a character artist.
- Rigging knowledge is helpful as is an understanding of hair/fur.
- Familiar with PBR workflow.
- Technical and Artistic abilities.
- Expert skills with Maya, Zbrush, Unreal, Adobe / Photoshop, Substance Painter, 3d Coat, and Marmoset.
- Excellent communications skills. Flexible and easy-going attitude takes direction well.
- Team player who works well with co-workers and other departments.
- Attention to detail.
- Bonus skills:
- Substance Designer
- Marvelous Designer
- 3D Generalist (understanding of 3d pipeline)